Thursday, February 12, 2015

Andy Warhol: My Perspective

by Amber G.

Walking into the Warhol exhibition at AEIVA, I was not sure about what would be on display because of my lack of knowledge of Andy Warhol. I only knew Warhol for his silkscreens of soup cans and Marilyn Monroe; I did not know of his films, photographs, or sculptures. I was unaware of his fascination with pop culture, specifically celebrities, which can be seen in the majority of his works. Pop Art is exciting and fresh compared to the traditional standards of art. What is most appealing to me in Warhol’s work are the reactions from viewers. Almost everyone feels that there is a deeper meaning to Warhol’s works, but I believe that a lot of his works did not have any meaning behind them. I feel that so many people try to find meaning behind different artists’ works, when simply an artist creates something just because. As an artist, I have created work to either show off my talent or just for the fun of it. Warhol seemed to have this same mentality. I feel that the purpose of much of his photography, films, and paintings was to highlight his talents as well as to break the norms of traditional photography and photographic media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment