Sunday, February 15, 2015

The One That Almost Consumed Me

by Donnell J.

Before attending the Warhol: Fabricated exhibition, I assumed Warhol did only bright, vivid screen prints of everyday items and famous people, dead and alive. I thought he just woke up and got lucky with his work after many failed projects. Then I was greeted with his silver balloons, Silver Clouds. I wish I could have seen the ‘originals’. Many of the Warhols in the exhibition were gifted to UAB by the Warhol Foundation. My favorite was the Electric Chair screen print. I almost felt consumed by its “emptiness.” According to the Walker Art Center website, Warhol’s inspiration came from New York’s last two executions by electric chair, whereupon “capital punishment was banned in the United States from 1963-1997.” I found that I appreciate most Warhol’s works that are inspired by events from history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment