by Anonymous
The current Warhol: Fabricated
exhibition at the Abroms-Engel Instutitue for the Visual Arts is an
extraordinarily well-executed example of the type of artwork that I think is
lacking in the Birmingham area. There is an incredible amount of contemporary
works and art collectors in this city and I believe AEIVA has done a masterful
job of coordinating a show that has significant appeal. Warhol’s The Mask is a superb example of his
silkscreen technique, as well as a true reflection of Warhol’s interest in the
media, icons, and nostalgia. In The Mask, Mick
Jagger is shown with a black mask printed over his eyes. This cover, intriguing
on a conceptual level, becomes more translucent when the viewer moves from the
front of the image to either the left or the right making the eyes visible to
the viewer. I believe this changes the viewer’s perspective of the mask itself.
What does the mask’s translucency say about the perception of Jagger or viewers
themselves? It is quite possible that this is a simple by-product of the
silkscreen technique; however, it is interesting to consider whether the mask
is blocking Jagger’s vision. Or, is the viewer’s ability to see into the life
of a true musical icon being blocked? In context with Warhol’s other well-known
works, including the Marilyns, I believe Warhol’s intent is to confront the
spectator with a barrier—blocking fame from the general public with a well understood
and recognizable mask—something that we all do to protect or disguise ourselves
from one another, even the famous.
No comments:
Post a Comment